Monday, June 16, 2008

Usually Good


  I've been stopping at the Chattaway on 4th Street South in St. Petersburg for over twenty years. Myself and a couple of artists I use to work with would stop by for a beer or two after work. The little handmade bar with the surly bartender/co-owner Everett was separated from 22nd Avenue South by a few dried out plants dying in cracked bathtubs. Traffic whizzed by, stereos blasting,  stirring the dust from the dirt parking lot into the muggy night air.
  The Chattaways been around since before World War II, and they've been making burgers since the doors opened. The Chattaway was even recognized in the 1980's by US Today for it's burger. And I've eaten hundreds of Chattaburgers there.
  But I've run into a bit of bad luck there lately. The last THREE times I've order my beloved Chattabuger w/ cheese Platter I've ordered it the same way; medium well with pickle, onion and mustard only. And it's come out different every time. This weekend (pictured above) I got cheese and onions only, which is definitely better than the way it came out the time before... fully loaded. I don't know if it's the servers or the kitchen, but I hope my old friend gets its act together. 

1 comment:

Jeff said...

The Chattaway is like a secret lover.

Okay, I may have overstated that a bit.