Sunday, May 18, 2008

Dining On Art Island



   Naoshima was the most beautiful island we visited in Japan.  The view from the Terrace Restaurant was simply spectacular.  Our lunch visit was interesting in that I had one of the most unusual dishes of the trip, but neglected to take a photograph.  It can only be described as chili with a cold over-easy egg on top.  I have to admit it was pretty good.  

   Dinner was another course menu which I began with a salad (la nicoise) in Naoshimi style. The only difference I could see from a plain la nicoise salad was in the dressing which was a Naoshimi vinaigrette.  However, David's appetizer of carpaccio of green vegetables with fish aioli sauce (pictured above) was excellent.  It was more of a sashimi dish with the addition of the crispy little shrimp that like to stare at you from the plate.  Some of the fish had a rub on it that was really tasty.

  With a selection of Kihei sake, David had a fish course of conger eel (pictured below) that ranked up with one of the best he had on the trip.  For the meat course, David selected the carpaccio of Sanuki beef which was also truly amazing.  So tender, you could slice it with a fork.  I was giddy with anticipation for my Sanuki cohin.  Next thing I know, the waitress brings me.... chicken???? What??? Where's the beef???  Lesson learned, cohin is chicken and the Japanese like their chicken with the skin on top.

   As a final addition, I had to prove that as the cheese girl, I could find cheese anywhere and Japan was no exception.  Our cheese course included a local Okayama cheese that was everything I could expect.  The waitress couldn't understand how we were too full for the dessert course and offered to pack it up, but we had to explain we were finally two full and satisfied travelers. 

No comments: