Friday, May 9, 2008

Okayama Dinner


  
  Our first night in Okayama, our friends took us to e-jaro for a course dinner.  It is a small, intimate restaurant with four tables in the front and bar that allows  you to watch the chef cook all the delicious dishes.  We were in a separate room that allowed for the eight of us to sit at one table.

  We tasted many delicious items, but two stand out in my mind.  The first is pictured above and contains tastes of sashimi with peanut sauce, egg, bamboo shoot and baby eel with miso and mustard.  The second is pictured below where my scary fish reappeared.  Our friends immediately asked if we could eat it as they know some Americans are wary of fish with head and fins.  I replied that it was fine, that I just didn't know how to eat it and explained about my mangled Miyajima fish.  My kind friends explained that the head of fish must be on left, then you use your chopstick to cut line along fish.  This allows the meat to flake easily off the fish. When finished on this side, you flip the fish and repeat on the second side.  Now the fish isn't so scary.  Manabe-san also showed me how to flip out the fish cheek which he says is best part.   

We had many other courses and a local Okayama sake which is also pictured below.  I must say that every sake we have tried has been delicious and all are served cold. 



No comments: