Friday, May 9, 2008

Dinner With Friends


  Tano-san enjoys cooking, so one day we rode bicycles to go grocery shopping.  It was more than a grocery store as it also had sections for clothing, books and just about anything else you could need.  Tano-san showed me their produce selections and we tasted samples of sausages which we purchase.  There was a man making gyoza and he handed me samples.  After sampling Tano-san walked away saying too expensive, but he man called her back and said for two such beautiful women, he would reduce price for us.  So, we now had some gyoza and shrimp dumplings for our dinner.  I was full on all the samples he kept handing me.  

 After making our purchases, we put our groceries in our bike baskets to pedal to Tano-san's house.  I had to put my purse over my head and wear it  as a necklace.  It was a very funny sight, and I regret that I have no pictures.  At Tano-san's house I watched her cook and she even used onion that her father had grown.  She has bags of rice at her house which are delivered to her.

 When the feast is completed, we boxed it up and took it to the Artlink Center to share with our friends.  We had a lesson on how to make our rolls.  We took nori and added our choice of toppings which included lettuce, cucumber, radish, tuna salad, sashimi and sausages.  We then rolled it up and dipped into soy.  Oishi.  The most unusual combination of the night was when Yuzuki-san added gyoza to his roll.  Not many people use gyoza in a roll. We had our beer course and sake from Kyoto.  At the end of the meal we had strawberries which were still the best we've ever had.  

No comments: